Communications and Journalism Internship Description
The Carmen Veal Event planning firm seeks a graduate-level journalism and communications intern to help us publicize our work and write stories from neighborhoods we serve.
20-30 hours/week, M-F; Schedule is flexible between 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., One semester, quarter, or summer season is preferred.
Are you a journalism or communications graduate student interested in using your skills to support the creation of vibrant, healthy communities? Carmen Veal Events is recruiting interns to write news stories/multimedia stories. This unpaid position is a great opportunity to produce external communications and work on the ground on community development issues. We hope to uncover stories not always reported upon by the mainstream media as well as provide a portal for neighborhood news and events to better inform local residents.
• Gather story ideas and write/produce news stories
• Work with staff to generate copy for our new website currently under development, including program descriptions, neighborhood tours, and news updates.
• Work with staff to produce external communications, including Hartford Girl and Brown Skin Women e-newsletter.
• Fact check, proofread, format, and edit as necessary.
• Research prospective donors.
• Create videos and other multimedia communications to supplement news stories
• Performs related duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree candidate, preferably in Journalism or Communications.
• Previous internship or news writing experience preferred.
• Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas.
• The ability to work independently on projects while meeting deadlines.
• Photography and video skills a plus.
• Community development knowledge/experience a plus.
• Knowledge of standard workplace technology.
CVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.